CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, January 18, 2009

And the verdict is.......

In case anyone was still wondering how I am fairing in my battle against the hives, I finally went to the Dr. I started out with my PCP who proceeded to tell me that I would need to see a dermatologist before I could be referred to an allergist. What??? Then, in order to get the referral to the dermatologist (which the insurance requires) I would need to have a chest x-ray done first. What??? Whatever just do it. So I finally get in to see the dermatologist and she knew immediately what I had (as I am sure my PCP did as well). Urticaria Hives, specifically dermatographism. This apparently affects 5% of the population, typically appears in women, and can last for months, even years (going on about 9 months now). They do not know what causes it and apparently there is no real cure. The Dr. wants me to take Zyrtec once a day, everyday to help with the symptoms and gave me a list of things that "might" help. This list included using nothing with fragrance including soaps, lotions, detergent, fabric softener, deodarant, perfume, etc.. The list also included a list of foods known to aggravate the condition. You know foods like dairy, nuts, chocolate, tomatoes, fruit, and fresh vegetables. Yes that's right, EVERY single one of your basic food groups. Sweet! So not only will I be smelly but apparently I have a new diet of saltine crackers and Zyrtec. Which in my case will NOT make me lose weight. So for the price of my gas to and from 2 Dr's appointments, a chest x-ray, and $45 in co-pays, I now get to not eat anything and suffer in order not to suffer. Thanks, that really helps! Oh, I also got the reminder to seek immediate medical attention, should my throat or mouth start to swell! Will do! Here are some pictures of my affliction.
I would have taken some of my own skin but I am REALLY trying to avoid anything that may even imitate a scratching motion. Ok, I will stop complaining now, at least I am not this poor baby.
*Part Two of the story in 2 weeks........

4 comments:

prin said...

that story reminds me of a couple of years ago when I was sure i was having a heart attack. after all that upper and lower endoscopy's (fun) turns out i have barrett's esophogus a pre-cancerous condition caused by acid reflux. so now i can't have chocolate, caffeine, spicy foods, onions, alcohol (i don't drink anyway) pepper, grease anything that makes food taste good or is good. i looked at her and said well, just what am i supposed to eat. i guess now i understand why my mother lived on cheese and bananas the last days of her life. i'm so sorry you're having to go through this. it makes me itch just looking at it, so i can imagine what you must be going through. i wish there was something i could suggest to make it all go away, but i'm sure you've tried everything. you're not eating little debbie snack cakes are you? they make me break out in hives everytime i even look at one and i do so love those oatmeal ones :) anyway take care of yourself.

Sephalo said...

Poor little princess! Hopefully there's something wrong with you when you get your blood work back lol
Love your guts

Smiley Family said...

I am really hoping that its months, and NOT years!! So, so sorry! Enjoy your saltines:)

Mary said...

Pure torture! Can you do smoothies with protein powder? Using rice milk?

Wish you lived closer so I could help you :(

The hives are such a DRAG!

xoxoxoxo