CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Ducks again

Ok, I know I promised I was done with duck stories but I have to share this one because it amused/horrified me so much. The following took place at 4:45pm today. I step onto my back patio to read and enjoy being outside when 3 little girls peek their heads into my fence. The one is holding an egg and says "Look at this duck egg I found, do you know which of the ducks it belongs to?" I tell them that I don't, but that they should not be playing with the eggs that the ducks are laying. I tell her to go put it back where she found it and she runs off. I sit down on my chair when I hear the sister of the girl start yelling at her.

Apparently she broke the poor little baby duck egg and the sister is hysterical. She starts yelling that she killed a baby duck and now the mother is going to come and kill her! She states that her scent is all over the egg and because the other 2 girls are with her, the mother will kill them as well. Now keep in mind that these girls are probably around 5 or 6 years old. The girl then proceeds to tell her sister that a baby egg has to sit for 100 days before it hatches and because she has killed the baby it will never become a duck. Then she states "the office is right there and we are going to be in so much trouble, first the mother duck is going to kill us, then the office is going to yell at us!" She then starts on a rant about how she can't believe she killed a baby duck on Easter and how they were supposed to have a celebration when all the ducks hatched and that they will never be able to do that now because the mother duck is going to kill them. The sister is trying to defend herself by saying "it is no big deal, look, it wasn't even a baby yet!"

Part of me is cracking up inside, while my animal loving nature feels so bad that this baby duck is dead (although the ducks drive me crazy, I would never want them to be dead!). I mean this girl is something else! I love that she thinks the mother is going to actually KILL them! I decide to go check things out partly because there are no parents in site and partly because I don't want this girl to have a heart attack. I am also really worried that the duck egg actually looks like a dead baby at this point, and really don't want these girls traumatized by a dead baby. I go out to the other side of my fence and the girl comes running to me, pointing to the egg and telling me that her sister killed a baby duck. I look on the ground and thank goodness, the egg looks exactly like an egg, yolk and all, and give in to my motherly side. I tell the hysterical girl that the baby had not yet developed so it is actually not a baby yet, and that it was an accident and her sister is not a murderer (in so many words) and tell the sister that she needs to keep her mitts off the duck eggs so the babies have to time to hatch and then they will be able to enjoy them while they are young. I get them calmed down and they run off to play. I thought about taking a picture of the broken egg for you all, but decided the other tenants may think me strange if I do that. So there is my humor/horror for the afternoon!

8 comments:

Nina said...

I think its funny the things that kids say and come up with. Sounds like something my Cam would say.

All About M.E.('s) said...

Oh, you are so nice. It sounds like you handled the situation perfectly-good job! Kids say funny things, especially when they don't know that an adult is listening.

The Lund Five said...

It is funny how little minds work. Your story cracked lol me up and I think that you handled the situation well.

Smiley Family said...

Feel free to share hilarious duck stories anytime!

Sandi said...

I would had scooped those sweet little girls up in my arms and showed them that all is well with the baby duck that that it hadn't really developed yet. You did a good job helping them

Mary said...

Oh that is so funny!!! Poor little girl. She is traumatized for life. Probably will never eat another egg in her life. You did good Stace. You are the fairy godmother of tortured little girls. Keep up the good work.

Love you!

Sephalo said...

Thats funny, you should have told them to say goodbye to their loved ones hahaha Just kidding people

Hello! said...

ha ha ha! The mother duck IS going to come kill them, but only after she kills YOU!