CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, December 27, 2007

The Graduate

I am in the process of applying to grad school to get my Master's degree in social work. I have already been rejected once and let me tell you it is hard on the self-esteem! As if my hair wasn't thinning and graying enough, I now have this added stress! (thats not me, mine looks worse)



I absolutely HATE this!



It is bad enough that you pretty much have to sell yourself to a University that you are willingly going to give $50,000 to, but they also CHARGE you $50 per application! This doesn't even include the $ you have to pay for your transcripts. What is up with that?

Why can't I just go to school?

If I want to throw away 50 grand then let me, it is my decision!



Then you have the 5 page "personal statement" in which you let the school know why you want to be a social worker. Do I really need 5 pages to let you know that I want to help people? Do you think I would choose this profession if it was not in my nature to help people? Do you think I would choose to listen to people in pain and need all day long if it wasn't something I was going to be good at? Do you think I just woke up this morning and said, "I think I want to be a social worker, it can't be that hard!"



And last but not least, I am judged by the grades I received when I was 19 years old. Do you have any idea the amount of time and energy I put into school when I was 19? Do you mean to tell me that because I did not do well in my Western Swing Dance class,



I am ineffectual at stopping someone from swallowing a whole bottle of pills?

I think I just wrote the 1st paragraph of my personal statement.

6 comments:

Sephalo said...

I think thats a great start to your personal statement! I'm sorry you have to jump through so many hoops for school... I know when & where you get in will be the right thing for you. Good Luck Stace, I Love Ya!

Sandi said...

Just think you can use the experiences you are having me to show how dedicated you are. what a blessing for you and i never knew it. Love mom

Mary said...

Your right Stacey, it is not fair. Man if you haven't shown them commitment by now what the heck do they want! I know the right college is out there for you. One that sees you for your unique and more than qualified abilities. I know a couple psychologist that were picture perfect students and have practices and they aren't worth a hoot!!! They are totally screwed up! So keep up the fight.

Mary said...

Oh yea, swing dance? Really you could have excelled in swing and you would be on the circuit by now!!!!

Smiley Family said...

I can always count on your blog to bring me some comic relief, even if you didn't intend on being funny! I love that you took a swing class, I would have never guessed that one!! I know that you will get into a masters program, anyone who doesn't accept you is stupid. I can tell that you truly love helping people - I don't think I could have your job and handle it as well as you do. Keep your chin up and keep forking out the $50 application fees - it will be worth it in the long run :)

Amy said...

perhaps you should have tried square dancing??????