CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, May 1, 2008

New foods

I LOVE the Food Network and anytime I have the T.V. on for background noise, it is on this channel. As I type this, I am listening to Giada make Portabello burgers on Ciabatta bread...Mmmmm! Along with her, my other favorites include Guy, Paula (anyone who cooks with THAT much butter, is worth watching!), Iron Chef America, and anything that has the amateur cooks on it. I have always wanted to find a recipe that would win the grand prize at a cook-off! I love to cook and I have realized lately that I am getting bored with what I am cooking. I tend to cook a lot of the same things for myself, mainly because it is what I can afford. I watch these amazing cooks and I dream of the day that people will come from miles around to taste my gourmet food at my fabulous dinner parties!

I always have the same excuse about why I am not having these dinner parties, that people will talk about for weeks to come, and that is $. The things I want to make are not cheap! I want my dinner parties to be spectacular affairs with awesome tablescapes! So instead of always making excuses, I have decided I am going to pick an ingredient each week or so and cook something with it.

My first ingredient was Mascarpone Cheese. I have always wanted to cook with Mascarpone cheese, but it is typically $7 for 8oz. Giada is always putting this apparently nutty, creamy cheese in everything from desserts to pastas. I decided to go with a dessert and make a Lemon Cheesecake that included the Mascarpone (of course), cream cheese, sour cream, and of course lots of lemon.



Yummmmmeeeeeee! It turned out so delicious! I don't think it had anything to do with the Mascarpone though. I am not sure it is really something that is all that "spectacular".

I tasted it plain and was really not that impressed. I think it was the lemon that made it so good, and I really love lemon! So, I can now say that I have tried it and I don't really have a need to again, especially for the cost of it! I have not decided what my next ingredient will be, but after I make something, I will let you know how it turned out. I am thinking either Mustard greens or Polenta.

7 comments:

prin said...

might want to wait until the middle of the summer for mustard greens. try the curly leaf kind if you can find it. I love them just steamed with a little bacon grease and salt mmmm mmm! my mom used to laugh at me and say you better go in there and get your greens before they get too done :) I ordered some seeds for the curly mustard greens from Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds on their web site. I don't think they were but about 2.00. the trick to their website is to order everything you want at one time because there is only a $3.00 shipping fee no matter how much you order. I think you could probably grow them in a big pot. I haven't planted them yet, I think it's still a bit early. I can't wait! Haven't seen you on the site in a bit. Missed ya! I've been lacking in my own duties visiting sites...been sick for two friggin weeks, Ugh! Have a good one!!

The Lund Five said...

That looks really good. What a great idea to try stuff with new ingredients. Can't wait to see what you do next!

Monica Lifferth said...

Oh, this is going to be fun seeing you do this. I also have a gourmet pastry chef deep down inside of me screaming to get out. I'm a sugar-a-holic, I just need to face it. Good post!

Smiley Family said...

Go for the polenta! I have always wanted to try it but haven't for some reason. So, I'll let you go first and let me know how it turns out:)

Also, when you make your millions, I better be invited to your first fabulous dinner party!

Mary said...

Stacey you need to professionally cook for other people and let them pay for the exotic ingredients. Oh I would love for someone to cook for me who likes trying new things. I do love to cook when I want too. I would prefer you cook for me though.You have great taste!!!!

I would try the polenta too.

Sephalo said...

I vote for the Polenta too! Always wondered about the marscapone, no you 've solved the mystery, thanks! You do have such Princess taste! I'd come to your dinner parties every time! Love Ya

myjoy.blogspot.com said...

I'm not sure what your talking about but I think you should be open to have your blogger family suggest an ingredient and you make something with it. I'll find you something GOOD.