CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Eyes

I had a day off today so I decided to quit procrastinating and go to the eye Dr. I have not had a new pair of glasses in a few years, and although I do not wear them all the time, it would be nice to be able to see out of them when I do. Eye exams are not typically something that people get nervous over, including me, but I have an astigmatism that gets worse every year and I am always worried that they are going to tell me I HAVE to wear my glasses, because contacts can only correct it so much. Ok, so really that isn't that big of a deal, but there is one moment that I get a little butterfly in my stomach. It starts with the eye dilation (which I hate, it makes me feel off balance for hours!):
I have something that is called Congenital retinal pigment epithelial hypertrophy (CHRPE) or as the Dr calls them "bear claws" in my eyes. They are little spots on the back of your eye and can be a sign of cancer, although the chances of them becoming malignant are not that likely. Here is a picture of what it looks like.
So even though it is rare, the hypochondriac in me thinks that there will have been some change and I am going to die of eye cancer. Again, being the hypochondriac that I am, I research things A LOT and have also found that these cute little freckles can be a sign of colon polyps, which can be cancerous as well. Those are not typically found until you are in your 40's or 50's, so I have 10-20 years to worry about getting bowel cancer. I have already determined that I will die of cancer at some point in my life!

So the Dr stares deeply into my eyes, for longer than I think is necessary, and tells me how fascinating these things are. He tells me he wishes I could see them with my own eyes. He then says they look the same as they did last year, and every year before that and I have nothing to worry about. Whew, dodged the bullet for 1 more year! Yes, I know I am over dramatic but I like to think of it as realistic, not dramatic! I try to think positively about it though, and even if I do get eye cancer at some point in my life, at least I will be able to get some medical Marijuana for the pain.

7 comments:

Monica Lifferth said...

lol! Way to look on the bright side!

Smiley Family said...

Eye appointments are no fun and dilation is the WORST! I seriously hope and pray that all my children inherit Brian's amazing vision.

The Lund Five said...

I am definately in need of new glassed also. I also hope my kids get Dave's vision. I guess they have a 50/50 chance. Anyway, CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Sandi said...

You are so dramatic! You never said if you need new glasses. I wish we all had Brian's vision. He was really blessed to have perfect vision.

Anonymous said...

thats right baby 20/10 vision for me used to be 20/20 but it has gotten better over the years...

Brian

Sephalo said...

I never knew you had 'Bear Claws'! Poor little princess, well, I'm glad everything's ok. If you ever do get eyeball cancer maybe Asian can donate part of his Bionic eye :)

Mary said...

Oh my, I spy in your little eye...Never heard of those before Stacey! You are so unique. Now about the "being realistic", that is not realistic. Realistic is living in this moment and not worrying about what may be or may have been. I hate eye dilation too. Gives me a headache.

Love you mucho!!!!